question-icon

What causes persistent wrist swelling after wrist fracture?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: You have responded to several of my questions before regarding the fracture of my right wrist.
This happened the end of October, and I continue to be concerned about the swelling - it is not getting any better
You may remember me? My angulation is 15 degrees off, and I'm definately a worry wart
I continue to seek reassurrance - please help me!
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma (10 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Swelling will stay for few more months.

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. Wrist fracture can cause swelling some time up to one year. It is not a problem. All you need is to do good physiotherapy and hot water fomentation. But some time it can become REFLEX SYMPATHETIC DYSTROPHY. In this condition there is pain with stiffness. So I would like to know little detail about this illness.
1. Are you having stiffness and pain?
2.Do you feel restricted movements?
3. About 15 degree angulation please send me x rays so that I can check if bone is not uniting in proper position.
Please send me answers of these questions. I will try to my best to help you.
thanks
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement