What causes persistent weight loss, constipation, excessive sweating and rib pain?

Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: My wife is age 30, she has experienced a lot of weight loss the past year...as well as only poops once a week...sweats a lot at night...and occassionally has experienced a sharp pain from her rib up to her heart area. This pain she says is sharp and then sometimes dull, and has reoccurred about 5-6 times in the past year. She has a minor bump (or whatever you call it) on a breast that her doctor suggested she get looked at, but she hasn't done that yet. Otherwise her breast feels fine. I intend to have her see a doctor right away, but am wondering what these symptoms could be?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should get her examined by a Surgeon at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Weight loss along with a breast lump is not a good sign. We need to rule out any cancer in the breast or anywhere else. But there is no need to worry the condition is usually treatable.
I suggest you see a Surgeon who can examine her and advice requisite investigations like FNAC, Ultrasound Abdomen, Chest X Ray and some blood tests. This should be done at the earliest to reach a diagnosis and then only the treatment can be planned.
Take care and do let me know if there are any queries on this issue.
Feel free to contact me at any step of the treatment.
Hope for fast recovery.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 45 hours later
I'm not sure it's exactly a "lump" but there was something on the breast the doctor wanted checked out. How often is something like that actually cancer? Is it common to have something like a lump but not have cancer?

Also, are you concerned about the other symptoms I mentioned, besides the weight loss and breast issue?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rishi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Other symptoms could be due to a Thyroid disorder if not due to breast.

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thanks for your reply.
The bump you mention is difficult to comment upon until I examine her. Therefore it is best to get her examined by a Surgeon at the earliest. Any kind of bumps or lumps in breast should be examined and cancer should be ruled out. There are other reasons also for Lump s to happen in the breast. There are lots of non cancer lumps in the breast.
As for other symptoms they are more suggestive of a Thyroid problem for which you need to get her Thyroid function blood test done.
But most important is to rule out the breast thing presently.
You can let me know the results and I can guide you along.
Take care,
Dr Rishi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj