What causes persistent vomiting in an infant?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor, I have a concern my daughter 80 days old vomits every day once from past 1 month and she is gaining weight normally I checked with a pediatrician and she said it's OK but I am worried can you please suggest
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to lack of burping

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Vomiting in a baby of this age could indicate lack of proper burping. You need to keep the baby in upright (head end raised) position for 15-20 mins after each feeds. Unless that is done, the feeds tend to regurgitate back and cause vomiting. I hope that proper burping (as described) will resolve the problem. If it does not, let me know and I will guide you accordingly.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 35 minutes later
The vomit is usually after a burp and she is sleeping also in an inclined position. Sometimes she vomits when we lift her for a burp
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Overfeeding could be an issue

Detailed Answer:
I need some clarification.
* Do you mean that just after feeding you lift her for burping and the vomiting occurs?
* How long after feeding do you burp (following which the vomiting occurs)?
* How much is the amount of vomitus?

It seems that overfeeding could be an issue.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 20 minutes later
I feed her for 10min and try to burp her immediately, sometimes the burp comes in 5min and at times it comes after 10min. To keep her head straight for 30min after the burp she is maintained in the same position and then within 5min she vomits. The vomit occurs once or twice daily. Sometimes she vomits when she is feeding only.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Formula feeds can be hard for the baby to digest.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the details. Let me tell you that irrespective of whether you hear a burp sound, you should place the baby in head up position for 15-30 mins after each feed. Based on the description it seems the issue is actually related to overfeeding. Try feeding the baby a bit less and possibly the issue will resolve. I assume that you are formula feeding the baby. Let me also mention that formula milks are cow milk based and often difficult for the baby to digest. Shifting back to breast milk should take care of the issue.

You have not mentioned how much the baby is vomiting out. Also mention how much milk you are giving.

I am breast feeding her and she vomits around 50ml. I have no idea how much she feeds as she breastfeeds directly
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
It would not be normal for a breast fed baby to vomit 50 ml of milk. Make sure to visit a doctor and to get her evaluated. Pyloric stenosis needs to be ruled out. An abdominal lump to be ruled out and a radiological study would possibly be needed thereafter.