question-icon

What causes persistent vomiting and nausea?

Posted on Wed, 18 May 2016
Question: My mother (57yo) was recently ill with what we assume was a cold. She had a fever, which she tried to treat with some old Ibuprofen 600 she had on hand. Bad idea: she has had nausea and vomiting (coffee grounds and black stuff [which we know must be linked to stomach bleeding]) for almost a week. She hasnt been able to keep anything in her system without regurgitating it in the early morning. I took her to the ER a few days ago and she was treated for dehydration, and the ER doc prescribed meds for the nausea. She was given a referral for a GI Specialist, but cannot be seen for another two weeks. She still has the same nausea and regurgitation as when this started last week, and has not had a BM in that time. Any idea what we may expect in terms of a diagnosis? Any advice on what to do to relieve discomfort and keep food down while we wait for her appointment?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Suspecting a number of conditions, listed below for reference

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. There is one thing I really don't comprehend or approve of in your country, and that is the medical system.

An individual suffering from acute continuous vomiting and regurgitation which is coffee brown in colour is made to wait for at least 2 weeks to meet a specialist for treatment? And not only that, she does meet a medical team which consists of at least 1 doctor, and is treated for nausea? And not recommended an admission? It really baffles me! But we are not here to discuss that are we.

I am sorry to hear about your mother having to wait that long, really I truly am; in terms of an expected diagnosis, we can expect any of the below listed conditions, but please note that the list could not be shorted only because an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy would be the best and first line to diagnose the cause.

+Ulcers: Stomach or peptic ulcer disease
+Liver abnormality (cirrhosis, alcohol use, liver failure): In my opinion less likely
+Gastric causes: Duodenitis, oesophageal varices, Mallory-Weiss tear, gastritis, gastric erosions, etc.
+Pancreatic abnormalities

Here are my recommendations:

+Avoid alcohol completely
+Avoid smoking
+Avoid spicy food
+Avoid oily food
+Avoid fatty food
+Avoid carbonated drinks
+Avoid overeating
+Avoid coffee
+Avoid tea
+Avoid long gaps between meals
+Avoid all medications (Especially pain killers)
+Have bland food, preferably a liquid or semi-solid diet
+Have 5-6 smaller meals instead of 2-3 larger ones
+Drink plenty of water
+Have 1 tbsp of sucralfate syrup three times a day for the next 6 months, 10 minutes before each meal (this is the most important point of management, so please do not skip this at any point)

I hope and pray your mother undergoes a quick and complete recovery, but first I really hope she is met by a specialist at the earliest. Please do not hesitate to write to me about anything, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan