What causes persistent vertigo after recovering from a cold?
if it last longer than 2 weeks, need to be seen
HI, thanks for using healthcare
Vertigo can occur with the common cold because the infection (cold virus) can affect the sinuses and inner ear.
In most persons, it resolves by 2 weeks after cold symptoms have improved. If this time has passsed or the vertigo is severe, then you should be see by your doctor or an ENT specialist.
YOu can consider using medication dramamine to help with the vertigo. This is normally used for nausea but has been found to be helpful with vertigo as well.
It will make you drowsy unfortunately and should only be used for a few days.
Another option is meclizine.
I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes cold sores
- What causes cold sweats
- What causes the body to be cold after death
- What causes vertigo and dizziness
- What causes eye problems after a vertigo attack
- What causes cold knees
- What diseases cause vertigo
- What causes cold and cough
- What is the cause of recurring cold
- What causes headachedizzinesspalpitaions and cold sweat after running