What causes persistent unusual dizziness despite having normal MRI?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Sir , I am having regular almost continuous giddiness for past three months. Giddiness is not present all the hours but mostly 8 to 9 hours per day for last three months. Its not kind of fainting but a kind of disturbance continue uously. With that on eating meals my heart beats will be higher for sometime and comes down slowly to XXXXXXX Along W with this I feel body weekness three or four days once. I never gone through such symptoms before in life. Gone through full body check up and MR I... All Ade normal ECG echo all normal. In MRI it has come all normal , some discs bulge observed in neck and low back region. All others normal. I am having pain sometimes in neck and low back but continuous giddiness. My doctors say nothing to worry and just go..but giddiness not allowing my normal life. Kindly diagnose ...pl
Answered by Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Doppler study or angio for blood circulation in head neck, vascular surg.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I may suggest vertebral artery and carotid artery angiogram also for unexplained giddiness or dizziness under guidance of a vascular surgeon. Some impairment of blood flow to brain circulation may be ruled out. Doppler ultrasound is another method to study this blood circulation in neck and head since you have a history of neck pain. Disc bulges seen on MRI cervical spine.

Do consult a vascular surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava 28 minutes later
Thank you doctor. So this won't be symptoms of cervical spomdulosis ? Is that right sir ?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Initiate treatment for vertigo and spondylitis and investigate vascular sup

Detailed Answer:

Cervical spondylosis may also cause giddiness and vertebral artery indentation but as MRI shows just mild disc bulges they may or may not account for it directly.

Lipid deposit and Plaques in carotid artery or vertebral artery may be independent phenomena causing impaired circulation for long hours of dizziness and vascular study may be of great help

There are many cases with advanced spondylitis with varying dizziness and vertigo symptoms- I would want to rule out vascular cause as well unless a vascular surgeon thinks otherwise.

As of now, I would treat such a case as of spondylitis and like to give anti-vertigo medicines,anti-inflammatory medicines and physical therapy of neck muscles to strengthen them and at same time want to investigate for vascular cause too.

Follow up: Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava 24 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor. Final question is if I was diagnosed with cervical spondulosis finally. Is that treatable ? With continuous exercises as mentioned to me now ?? Bcoz I was told that I am in earlier stage only for cervical. Your guidance pls
Answered by Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Exercises intermittently, daily helps in spondylitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query

Spondylitis,and dizziness are very much treatable,yes

Exercises have its benefit as muscles around neck are the anchors for the main pillar-the spinal column and play a lead role in bearing the brunt of stress on main pillar -spine-if muscles are strong they share greater load and vertebral column is saved

The isometric exercises have to be done daily for 10 minutes twice a day

Best wishes
Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava

Orthopaedic Surgeon