What causes persistent unexplained tinnitus?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been experiencing a 'speaker like' sound in my ear where my voice comes back to me. It sounds like there is a small speaker in the ear. Has only lasted 30 seconds or so, but keeps returning. I made an apt with an ear doctor but am wondering if my primary care doctor could help instead.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. There is an internal connection between the inner throat and the middle ear cavity on each side. This tube maintains the air pressure same outside and inside. In case it gets blocked with mucus, the resultant pressure difference in the middle ear will alter the quality of sound you hear. That is exactly the reason that you are hearing the speaker sound in the ears. As you swallow, the gulp of air changes the pressure and often opens the tube again, thus leading to normalization for a short duration.

You need to take steam inhalation. Water in form of vapor will reach deep inside and will help in diluting the mucus and would thus provide relief.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng