What causes persistent tinnitus?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 7 Oct 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Doctor.. my son is 13 years old .. off late from the last 6 months he has been complaining of a long beeping sound im his year from time to time.. . he tells me he cannot hear properly at times and struggles to undertand what his friends are trying to say.. he told me last night that he could not hear what his friend was trying to say at the party but he could understand me pretty clearly as there were no noises aroumd .. i am extremely worried and tensed doc. Is there anything that i should be seriously concermed about ?? He is healthy and pretty active ... Please let me know
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hearing difficulty

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query.
From the complaints, it seems that the child is not able to hear particular frequencies. The beeping sound or tinnitus is also a sign if hearing loss. You should get him examined by an Ent specialist to rule out any wax in the ears.Also get a pure tone audiometry done. It will tell the amount and type of hearing loss if any.
Any history of frequent nasal or throat infection?
Any history of antibiotic medication like gentamycin etc in the past?
Any history of trauma?
Is the loss in both ears or only one?Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng