Owl Image

What causes persistent tingling sensation and numbness in the left arm and leg?

Neurologist
Question
Left arm & leg numbness & tingleling
. headaches at times been going on for months now.
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brain imaging recommended

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Tingling of both limbs on only one side deserves some attention. That is because it can be a manifestation of a brain lesion which commonly cause such symptoms restricted to one half of the body. Unfortunately it is not specific, meaning that it can have different causes such as a past minor stroke, tumor, malformations etc. For that reason to evaluate it imaging is necessary, at least a CT scan or even better a MRI of the head which would be the best test to evidence any lesion.

Hopefully it won't reveal any lesion, at times anxiety or metabolic/hormonal alterations may be at play, but since in those instances symptoms are usually on both sides in your case a brain lesion must be ruled out through imaging.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.

Follow-up: What causes persistent tingling sensation and numbness in the left arm and leg? 1 hour later
very bad in my left arm. pretty much all the time now. Does not matter what position I am in.

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional information.

Regarding my recommendation it doesn't change much, if the symptoms are present in both upper and lower limb (even if more pronounced in the arm) then a brain lesion is the first possibility to be excluded through imaging.
If the symptoms in your arm are very bothersome Gabapentin may be used, but it is only to alleviate it until a diagnosis is made, doesn't address the cause.

Let me know if I can further assist you.