What causes persistent swelling in legs and feet while on Furosemide?
Furosemide.This has been going on for 4 weeks. What could be causeing it? Should I do something different?
Investigations for evaluating basic cause & specific treatment
Hi XXXXXXX XXXX,
Thanks for the query.
Swelling on lower limbs is suggestive of water retention in lower legs( collected there due to gravity.. Furosemide helps clearance of this water by raising filtration rate in kidneys.That's why your swelling is relieved by the medication to return back in morning.
This happens because the symptom is treated but basic cause of the water retention is not yet found & managed.
* - Such swelling can occur due to kidney problems/ heart problems or high blood pressure / liver impairment. what you need at present is to get thoroughly examined & investigated for pointing out basic cause of the problem & get specific treatment to remove it.
I would therefore advise you to consult a physician to evaluate your health in Toto. After primary investigations he may start specific treatment OR may refer to expert specialist in the field as per need. ( heart specialist/ kidney specialist/ gastroenterologist)
Please don't worry... you had the symptom since last few weeks .. it's important to get it investigated earliest & can be well managed with modern medicine.
I hope the answer was both informative & useful to you. Any follow up query is welcome.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes fluid in legs and feet
- What causes swelling and numbness in feet
- What causes bladder leakage and swelling in ankles and feet
- What causes pain in my feet while walking
- What causes pain and swelling on feet
- What causes swelling and purple discoloration on feet
- Is swelling of the feet or lower legs a side effect of furosemide?
- What causes swelling in the feet after an abortion
- What causes fasciculations on legs and feet
- What causes swelling and discoloration in feet