What causes persistent strange sounds in head?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Yes, I have gone to at least 3 ENT's and even my own doctor does not get the severty of my tinnitus. Mine went way past the ringing about 3 years ago. I have a siren in my head 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It really feel like I am going to go crazy. Is there anything out that I can take, not everyday but when it is really bad that will help or just zone me out.
Also, and I don't know if I am spelling this right but I had an MRI done for Minuere's. My results were fine. When I went to the ENT they said my hearing was fine. But this siren in my head just never stops. I have to have a TV on or music to even be able to think. If I am with people and working it is better because I have something to concentrate on. But today I had to take a 3 hour continuing ed course and trying to concentrate was so very hard and when I left I was so frustrated that made the noise even worse. I was able to calm myself down a little by putting on my head phones and listening to soft music. I just don't understand why none of the doctors I have been to don't understand how truly awful this is. I don't know if all the doctors here in XXXXXXX are idiots and I need to go back to NYC and see someone. I am just about at my wit's end. Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
suggestions detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM.

I really can understand your concerns.
Tinnitus can be really awful, especially when no specific cause is determined.
Unfortunately, in many of such cases, the tinnitus usually persists.

I have some suggestions for you which you may find useful:
1. The most useful drugs which can help are antianxiety and antidepressant drugs like valium or elavil in low doses (prescription drugs).
I do not think temazepam would be sufficient.

2. When trying to sleep, the sound of a fan, some music, or white noise machine can help to relieve the problem.

3. Relaxation techniques like biofeedback therapy can be helpful.

4. Avoiding caffeinated substances like tea, coffee etc. is advised, as it may worsen symptoms. Avoid drugs like aspirin.

5. Small Masking devices produce low-level sounds that can help reduce awareness of tinnitus sounds.

6. If you can find a specialist in Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT), he can train you to be less aware of it.

7. Avoiding loud noises is very important in preventing worsening of the symptoms.

Following these suggestions should help you.

Feel free to ask further.

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 22 hours later
I have done a lot of research and I quite drinking anything with caffeine over 2 years ago.
I can't be around anything loud so that doesn't happen.
I have a hearing aide with a light sound in it and when my tinnitus is really bad which is quite often, even that does not help.
I have found that listening to music with certain low beats drums, and I keep the volume low, does help.
I have tried to get ENT"s to listen to me that this could be a very helpful solution, by providing some kind of implant that produces that noise. No one will take me seriously. Do you know of any doctors that are trying to do research on this?
I would be happy to be a guinea pig.
Also, how can I get my doctor to prescribe valium to me. It seems as though doctors won't give you that kind of medication. Do I need to seek out a physchiarts here in Austin?
I am just at me wits end.
I get massages, I get acupuncture, I exercise, I'm in good shape and not the least bit overweight. I really take care of myself but nothing I do or try seems to help.
As much as I hate taking medication I would be willing to take valium. I have taken it before when I danced professionally with the XXXXXXX Ballet due to back pain, so I know it does not affect me adversely.
Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
psychiatric opinion will be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Its unfortunate that no strategy has worked satisfactorily for your tinnitus.

You can consult at university of XXXXXXX at XXXXXXX No personal acquaintances but I have heard about this university. The have tried deep brain stimulation for treatment of intractable tinnitus.

Their department of brain and behavioral sciences might help you with implant as well.

In my opinion, you must meet a psychiatrist.
He can prescribe you valium or tricyclic antidepressants (whatever he feels best) as these drugs are proven to be of some benefit in intractable tinnitus.

Hope this helps.

I wish you well.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 39 hours later
Oh crap we are getting ready for vacation and my pill box is by my cats pill box. I just accidentally took half of her cat Prozac. It's 10mg, so I took 5mg. It's Fluoxetine. What should I do, I have never done this in 2 years.
Brief Answer:
will not cause any harm.

Detailed Answer:
Prozac 5mg is a vary minimal dose. Do not worry.

Even if you have accidentally taken for first time, this will not cause any harm.

You might just feel nauseous and nothing else.

Stay relaxed.
Enjoy your vacation.