• question-icon

What causes persistent stomach and chest pain?

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Heart Attack
Question: have been having stomach and chest pains all day I have gerd,and anxiety but I think it's a heart attack
My bp is normal heart rate had been over 100 even at
rest
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely at your age

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned about chest pain but a heart attack is very uncommon at your age unless you have a history of significant heart disease or a significant family history of heart disease.

Also a heart attack means that the blood supply to a part of the heart is cut off, that part is getting blood. For that to persist for the whole day and you are in need of a hospital setting is unlikely.

An entire day of no blood to an aspect of the heart would require assessment. There is usually shortness of breath, a change in blood pressure, dizziness.

The pain is usually a feeling of tightness or pressure on the chest

Anxiety can cause an increase in heart rate.

Based on your age (if there is no significant personal or family history), absence of other symptoms and the length of time--- a heart attack is unlikely but you can consider seeing your doctor for an assessment if you are still concerned.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James