What causes persistent soreness and stiffness in neck?

Posted on Wed, 22 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Have had a sore and stiff neck for about 3 weeks......what can be the causes besides muscle?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
spondylysis

Detailed Answer:
Apart from torticollis in the muscles these are the few possibilities for stiff neck
Degenerative disc disease with Spondylosis- severe degeneration of the bone minerals, thereby the ligaments of the muscles attached to the cervical vertebrae go into spasm not able to flex the neck.
The other reason is arthritis of the cervical vertebra.
Bony spurs are extra growths that occur along the spine and in the neck that irritate the nerves, tendons are frequently seen on Xray.
Frozen shoulder is other last thing I could think.
You should get Xray of the cervical vertebrae first.
If you do not have more queries please close and rate my answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam