• question-icon

What causes persistent sore throat?

Posted on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dear Doctor,

I am facing problem of sore throat.
Like when there is a changing weather season (Warm to Cold or vice-versa), my throat goes sore. I face itchiness, problem in swallowing, very mild pain etc. Although most of the times it does NOT show any other symptom like- running nose or cold or fever.
I try to go for saline water gargles (2-3 times/day), chewing ginger etc. I have already stopped having cold water (from refrigerator) during summer months too, take only normal temperature water.
Like 3-4 days ago, when it became too much warm weather, we used fan for the first time in night this season but my throat became sore when I wake up in morning. No other symptom.
Similarly also When I try to eat ice-creams in Hot months (April, May) then also sometimes my throat becomes sore although it should not happen in such hot months.

1. I was wondering how can I work upon developing some sort of immunity for my throat for such things (some sort of long-term solution), please help.
2. Also suggest some short-term solution also means when it happens how to resolve it quickly.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic pharyngitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
You are having allergic pharyngitis. The commonest cause is a deviation in nasal septum or a turbinate hypertrophy.
My advice is you should get Xray paranasal sinuses done and send me the picture. Also send me the pictures of your throat.
Take a nasal spray twice daily and hexidine gargles.
Take vitamin c once daily(it will help to increase immunity too)
steam inhalation.
Take combination of levocetrizine and montelukast once daily.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist