What causes persistent sore throat, blocked nose, green phlegm and dry cough?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi. i have had a sore throat and blocked nose for about 6 days. the forst couple days was just a blocked nose. the phlegm is thick and green in colour. i dont have a fever but feel tored sometimes. the throat is not generally sore but i hurts a lot when i swallow. i cant see any tonsils affected and think its further down closer to the larynx or just above it and thats where it hurts when swallowing. my voice is a bit deeper but not loosing my voice. the phlegm is sometimes spotted with blood. amd ive been getting bouts of coughing which seems dry but sometimes brings up thick bits of phlegm from my throat. to alleviate the pain on swallowing ive been using ibuprofen (sometimes together with panadol) around the clock. i had laryngitis and lost my voice about 9 months ago and i think it started with painful swallowing too but i haven't lost my voice this time. Also about 6 months ago i had an episode where i attempted to dry swallow a flucloxacillin capsule which got stuck in my throat and was extremely painful for a few hours as it seemed to have left some residue on my throat. could this have damaged the skin lining of my throat somehow that now when i get sick it affects my throat with reli bad pain on swallowing or is this just normal laryngitis?
do you think antiviotics are necessary?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
not likely related to the tablet

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned but since there is very good blood supply to this area, any injury related to the antibiotic tablet would have quickly healed.

This is not likely related and is most likely due to viral pharyngitis. If there is hoarseness or huskiness of the voice, then may have laryngitis as well.

Viral upper respiratory tract infection (common cold/flu) can cause the symptoms that you described- blocked nose, sore throat, productive or dry cough.
Blood can be seen because of inflammation of the passages but would normally resolve with the infection

You should continue the ibuprofen , a topical pain spray or gargle may also help the sore throat eg covonia throat spray, chloroseptic spray or gargle

A mucolytic would help to break up the mucus in the chest and nasal passages eg bisolvan, mucomyst , guaifenesin
This can be combined with a cough suppressant, decongestant, and antihistamine mixture.
This would be a over the counter cough/cold or allergy medication

If a severe and persistent fever develops or the symptoms persist beyond 2 weeks or progressively worsen, then antibiotics may be needed

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 minutes later
Thanks. Just thought id ask because ive never had pain on swallowing this badly before with any pharyngitis. And the pain is only when i swallow or yawn not all the time so seemed odd to me especially as i feel completely normal apart from that and the phlegm and cough. the local throat stuff is not working but nurofen is helping heaps. thanks
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi

If the pain is so severe then it may be a bacterial (strep throat) not viral infection so you may need to see your doctor so he or she can determine if you need a course of antibiotics

Please feel free to ask anything else