What causes persistent sore throat and cough?
Thanks for posting the query
After going through the query and examining the images, I am of the opinion that your problem is related to acute tonsillo-pharyngitis.
The reddish bumps are the hypertrophied lymphoid follicles over the pharyngeal wall secondary to pharyngeal infection. The pus or the yellowish discharge noticed on squeezing the tonsils is normal. This is due to presence of micro-abscess in the substance of the tonsil.
Do not worry! With appropriate management this can be taken care of. My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water - warm water increases the blood circulation to the affected area and reduces the congestion and the inflammation.
2. Try taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for pain relief.
3. Povidone iodine throat spray or gargles helps in relieving the congestion and also acts as a local antiseptic.
4. If the symptoms do not get better in a couple of days with the above measures, then, you would require broad spectrum antibiotics for treatment of the same.
5. Avoid chilled food and beverages/coffee/smoking if any.
Hope with the above measure you will feel better. Revert back to me if you have any follow up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes severe sore throat with coughing chucks of flesh
- What causes bodyaches with sore throat
- What virus causes sore throat
- What is the cause of the recurring sore throat
- Persistent sore throat and cough
- Causes of persistent sore throat
- Sore throat caused by coughing
- What is the cause of a barking cough and sore throat of an 8 year old
- Toothache sore throat whats the cause
- What causes sore throat and cough