What causes persistent shoulder pain?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Since 2007 I had my 3rd surgery for C3&4 and 4&5 plus on the report it mentioned problem with the thoracic 1&2, In 2015 I was diagnosed as having a popped disc from that area and went for Physical therapy for shoulder and arm pain. The shoulder pain came back and I have pin around the area of the thoracic part.
I also found out after Christmas I have a herniated disc for L 2&3, I had surgery for L3&4 and 4&5 in 2008, 1 months after my neck was done. Lately I have been having palpitations on and off and was wearing a monitor for 3 weeks and the Cardiologist said I had A- Fib at times. I am taking apirin and atenolol. Could the palpitations be caused by the Thoracic area?
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No both of them are most likely different events.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting query on this forum.
Its very unlikely that atrial fibrillation is caused due to compression of cervical or thoracic spine.Thoracic or cervical nerves have nothing to do with nerve innervation of heart.As per your question i think both the events are not limked to each other.
You should go for 2d echo test to rule out the pathological or physiological cause of atrial fibrillation in your case.

I don't think spinal surgeries have anything to do with atrial fibrillation.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 49 minutes later
Thank You for your feedback. I love my dark chocolate and can't eat that due to the palpitations. My husbands surprised that I am sensitive to Dk Chocolate now because it seems I get the palp. and at times A- Fib from this the next day. unless it is just a coincidence. Well, I just started the atenolol 3 days ago. Maybe it will just take a little time. I did have a stress echo 2 years ago. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
If it was atrial fibrillation then atenolol is definitely not the drug of choice.
Rather diltiazen or sotalol should be used.
However initially its important to find out the cause of A-fib.I don'tbthink that only dark choclates are causing Atrial fibriillation in your case.
Investigations should be done to find out the root cause and treat it.
Good luck!