What causes persistent shortness of breath, cough and cold?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello, my name is XXXXXXX I am a 28 year old XXXXXXX XXXXXXX male. I work out different muscle groups every morning and play pick up basketball every Thursday. Recently, I have been having a serious of chest pains, like something is stuck in the middle of my chest along with shortness of breath and a light cough. Generally, when I get a cold I have light symptoms, I don't get running noses or sore throats I just feel fatigue and then I'm back to normal after 3 or 4 days. However, these symptoms feel a little different. One day I did get stranded outside and the weather changed. Could this be related or do you feel like this may be something serious? I also consulted a doctor and they told me that my blood pressure was a little high. it was 156/94. No tightness in legs or abs. I have a slight cough and had an anxiety attack last night.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to any cardiac disorders.

So, they do not seem to indicate any serious medical condition.

Musculo-skeletal pain or inflammation could be the reason of this symptomatology.

A lung disorder can not be excluded either.

Is the chest pain triggered by deep breathing or body movements? This would indicate a musculo-skeletal pain.

From the other hand elevated blood pressure values could be related to inflammation or anxiety.

I would recommend taking acetaminophen three times daily for some days. If it helps improve your situation, it would be indicative of inflammation or musculo-skeletal pain as the main cause of your troubles.

If the pain persists, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a physical exam and some tests:

- a chest X ray study and pulmonary function tests
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count, PCR, ESR for inflammation.

I would also advise you to avoid straining physical activity in the next days.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask me again whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 minutes later
ok thanks for the advice. I will try taking acetaminophen as recommended.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I remain at your disposal for any other questions!

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I am glad to have been helpful!

Let me know about everything!

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 minutes later
ok will do. I will give you an update in a day or 2. Also, one other thing. I have trouble breathing when laying flat on my back or bending over slightly. Whenever I get up from laying down I feel a little dizzy/drugged. I haven't been eating as much lately and I am not sure if that is also related. I don't snore in my sleep or have sleep apnea either.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for the additional information!

Your symptoms seem to be related to gastro-esophageal reflux or gastritis. The fact that you have not been eating too much is another argument in favor of these causes underlying your troubles.

For this reason, I would recommend taking Zantac or omeprazole in addition to acetaminophen in the next days.

If you have any other uncertainties, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 minutes later
ok thanks
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome!

Best wishes,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 42 hours later
Hey hows it going Doc, just following up with a status report since our last talk. I have been taken the recommended prescription and it has helped to a certain extent. The tightness in my chess is faint but I still fill shortness of breath. Especially first thing in the morning and the top of my head feels weird. It's like a numbing sensation. After I eat however, I belch a few times and the symptoms seem to lessen. Overall I have been feeling a little better but I am still worried. Ive had the flu, colds, other type of bacterial infections but none of them compare to this feeling. Just a quick reminder of the symptoms; nausea in the morning or from getting up to fast, fatigue, I did have a light cough with sore throat at 1 point but that only lasted a day. Yesterday I sneezed a lot but no coughing or sore throat. Symptoms seems to lessen after meals followed by gas. I feel high a lot even when acetaminophen hasn't been taking in a while (between 5-6 hours or early morning), sometimes there is numbness in my chest which sometimes shift to my shoulders, side or back of neck.

On a good note, I did have a few moments where I felt completely normal throughout the day but mainly in between meals (specifically meals with meat)
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I understand your concern, and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to a gastro-intestinal disorder, like GERD or a hiatal hernia.

From the other hand other possible causes like chronic inflammation, a sinus infection or a lung chronic infection can not be excluded either.

Coming to this point, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG
- complete blood count, PCR, ESR for inflammation
- a sinus X ray study.

A fibrogastroscopy may be needed.

You should discuss with your doctor on these issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

I would be happy to review all your tests for another second professional opinion.

So, keep me informed.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
ok thanks for all your help
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

If you have any other questions in the future, you can ask me directly at any time on my personal link as follows:

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=69765

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri