What causes persistent running nose, watery eyes, and throat congestion despite taking medication?
My daughter is 6 years old and is complaining of running nose , and watery eyes and congestion with flem , So visited a pediatric, She is advised to take Cheerycough sy, Azithral and Maxtra, however with one course i didnt see any improvement on her water eyes and running nose which is really bad . Kindly advice to get rid of running nose and watery eyes
Need more details about symptoms
Does your daughter have a fever? If so, it may be viral, otherwise, it may be allergic.
How long have her symptoms been there? How long has Azithral been given?
In both cases, Azithral may not be beneficial because of its an antibiotic. I haven't heard of Cherry cough syrup, I have heard of Cherricof. Cherricof (Ranbaxy) and Maxtra have the same composition of ingredients. Both have chlorpheniramine (anti-allergic), phenylephrine and dextromethorphan. So one these should be given.
Since her symptoms are not improving by any of the above medicines, its most probably a viral infection. Viral infections get better by themselves in 7-10 days or even longer. I will recommend the following to take care of the symptoms:
- Steam inhalation with care not to burn skin
- Cherricof or Maxtra syrup for a runny nose as per her symptoms
- Crocin syrup for fever
- Vicks lozenges to soothe the throat
- Warm foods
- Dabur Honitus
- If Azithral course completed, then it can be withdrawn. For upper respiratory infections, Amoxicillin is a better antibiotic in babies because it has lesser side effects.
- Inhaling clean air, avoiding pollution and avoid contact with sick people. Wash hands frequently for both child and caregiver.
If her symptoms are getting worse, then need more tests like chest X-ray, and blood tests like CBC, etc.
Hope it helps.
Dr. Vaishalee Punj, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Drugs/medication for throat congestion
- What causes running nose and sneezing
- Running nose sneezing watery eyes coughing vomiting
- What causes running nose
- Throat congestion causes
- What causes running nose sore throat and excessive saliva
- Running nose watery eyes cause and treatment
- Throat congestion cough what is wrong
- Pus eyes sore throat congestion
- Baby with watery eyes and running nose
- Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...
- Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...
- Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?
- Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...
- Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...
- Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...
- Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...
- What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?
- Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...
- Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...