What causes persistent respiratory infection?

Dr. Vidya KR

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I've had congestion, runny nose, deep wet cough for six weeks. I am tired and cough up mucus (yellow).
I've been seen by my doctor three weeks ago. He prescribed an antibiotic for ten days and it did nothing.
Since the symtoms have stayed the same going on seven weeks, what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sputum study and antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

Your symptoms are suggestive of respiratory infection. But for intial antibiotic treatment not responding.

If a patient comes to me with these symptoms first I would like to get complete history and examination. Need few investigations to done, sputum test and antibiotic and sensitivity testing to know to which antibiotic organism is sensitive. Sputum study to rule out tuberculosis do required.

As your infection not responded to previous antibiotic, further higher level antibiotic treatment required with sputum test.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju