What causes persistent redness, itching, swelling on face?

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi sir,
i m using momate since from 4years on my chicks which was suggested by a local dermatologist here in telangana .. it was good.., but since last month i m having reddish on my face and allergy.. my face absolutely turned to pure reddness.. then i stopped using momate for a week then my face burings and swelling occurs on my face... then agian i started using the cream but thou even after using the momate im not getting my normal face its still reddness on it and hitching... so please sir suggest me what to do in this regard.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steroid induced rosacea; sunscreen and topical pimecrolimus

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have understood your concern.

You have developed a condition known as steroid induced rosacea, which is due to steroid abuse.
The cream that you have been using contains a potent topical steroid i.e mometasone furoate 0.1%.
It is not meant to be used on face for more than 2 weeks. You have been using it for 4 years!
Prolonged use of a potent topical steroid can lead to side effects like acne, skin thinning and telangiectasia/ dilated capillaries, persistent redness, sensitivity to sun, pigment loss etc
I suggest you to immediately discontinue it.
You will surely experience hot flushes, burning, itching sensation and possible acne eruptions/ flare. This is part of steroid withdrawal.
You should protect your skin from sun. Use a broad spectrum sunscreen, throughout the day.
I would also suggest you use a topical immunomodulator i.e pimecrolimus 1% cream, twice daily.
Pimecrolimus is a useful drug for steroid induced rosacea. It is a prescription drug.
You may visit a dermatologist in your region for a clinical examination and for a prescription regarding the same.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 33 minutes later
dear sir

i tried once to stop it but i really got hitching and flair on my face and swelling too at that time i really didn't understand what to do but to use the same again.. now i asks u sir pl suggest any cream or lotion which may reduce the indications while i stop to using the cream
and pl tell me how many days did it take to set-site the withdrawn effect...

sreedhar
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sunnscreen; pimecrolimus cream Or metronidazole gel; oral Doxycycline

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Your skin would be sensitive. Use a gentle cleanser e.g cetaphil cleansing lotion, twice daily.
Use a broad spectrum sunscreen, throughout the day. Reapply every 2-3 hours.
You may use either 1% pimecrolimus cream, Or metronidazole 1% gel once daily at night.
Metronidazole 1% gel is also helpful in reducing the redness, acne & inflammation that accompanies rosacea.
If you also have acne eruptions I suggest Oral Doxycycline Capsules 100 mg, twice daily for 2-4 weeks.
You skin would recover gradually therefore you need to have patience and refrain from using that cream again. It may take 2-4 weeks.
Kindly visit a dermatologist in your region for a clinical examination and for the needful.
Follow up with your dermatologist every 2 weeks.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist