What causes persistent redness in the eyes?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: It is Labor Day Weekend. I have had Pink eye for ten days. Went to aftercare clinic 10 days ago and was prescribed eye drops (antibiotic type). I used them for 7 days and the eye improved. Today I woke up and my eyes are very red again especially under the lids, the eyes feel scratchy and had a slight dry discharge in the corners which I removed. I have problems with dry eyes and use daily eye drops. I have on hand the following medication:ciprofloxacin 0.3,Gentamicin 0.3 and Doxcycline Hyclate 100mg cap. Please email me on what to use
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HELLO. The Gentamicin would be most appropriate

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX I would have you use the gentamicin drops in both eyes three times a day. For me, that's the most effective antibiotic eye drop for conjuctivitis. But if you've used it and still have the problem, then I suggest the Ciprofloxin drops

Please let me know if you need any more information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
When should I use the antibiotic?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not for one more day

Detailed Answer:
If this clears up in one day's time, no need for the antibiotic. But if there's still a problem beyond tomorrow, then you need to use it.