What causes persistent redness in ear lobes, uneasiness, heart palpitations and suffocation?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Since last one week, I have had the following evening after returning from office.

"Ear lobes turn red" , I feel heat coming out of ear, General uneasiness, slight panting of heart beats, head is jammed , suffocation feeling

The symptoms start around 6:30 and continue to 8:30/9pm. Gradually the symptoms subside.

Suspecting it might be BP problem , I got my BP checked for 2 consecutive days. The reading were 140/90 which I guess is on the higher side and may be the contributory factor for my uneasiness.

Currently I am under medication of IBS. I take Normaxin RT once daily before dinner.

Kindly suggest remedial actions.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems side effect

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HealthcareMagic.

The symptoms that you are having may be side effects of normaxin RT. It has tendency to cause rise in temperature and heat stroke like symptoms. Other causes can be high BP and anxiety.

To diagnose as hypertension and to start medicines the BP should be above 140 and/or 90 mm Hg on atleast three different doctor visits. Plus the patient must have tried diet and exercise changes for atleast 3 - 6 months.

Thus your best next step would be to start on lifestyle measures.

In diet, please avoid salty, sugary and oily foods. Avoid high calorie foods like milk products (cheese, butter, ghee, sweets, etc). Take more of fruits and salad upto five times a day.

In exercise, a 30 min daily routine is needed. It can include walk, yoga, gym, swimming, cycling, etc.

To lower the stress, you can try yoga along with breathing techniques (called as kriya). These are very effective. Yog nidra is also good to get some relaxation and can be done in office as well.

Weight reduction is also effective. Drinking cleaner water will help with both IBS and BP.

Regarding Normaxin RT, take it only if really needed.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Thanks for the detailed answer.

I have been taking normaxin-rt since last 4/5 months. Otherwise I have this stomach cramps and suffocation symptoms at night. What other alternate medicine can I try other than Normaxin-RT.

On some occasion, I was advised to try Nexito plus. Is it safe to take Nexito plus on SOS ?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try imodium

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

There are not many effective drugs for IBS. With stomach cramps alongwith diarhea, a gastrointestinal relaxant like imodium may help. Imodium to be avoided in constipation.

Nexito plus is an antidepressant. It may also help to some extent. It can also have side effects. Low dose Nortryptiline 25 mg is better studied antidepressant for irritable bowel syndrome. Yes these can be taken SOS.

Dietary changes should always be tried for IBS. Involves use of home cooked food and cleaner drinking water. Taking more of natural fiber as in fruits and salad. Relaxation techniques (like breathing techniques as in yoga) also help in IBS.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee