• question-icon

What causes persistent productive cough, bleeding nose and bad taste in mouth?

Posted on Thu, 10 Mar 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, Happy new year.
I have whats going around. seems as if everyone has it.
About a 3 weeks ago I developed a cough, congestion and aches. I went to the dr when it was still going week 2. The DR said it was a common cold. Saline rinse, rest. I was just getting better week 3 and it hit again. But different. This time more mucus and a fowl taste in my mouth when the mucus comes up. I have bloody noses in the morning. I have purchased a humidifier and will continue with the saline rinses. I get rest too. Just surprising its lasting so long. Is there anything else I can do?
thanks
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tablet Mucinex-Dm.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Mostly, cough with mucus and runny nose are viral in origin and usually do not require any antibiotics. They get relieved with symptomatic medications only.

You can continue with humidifier along with steam inhalation 3 to 4 times daily which can help cough by loosening secretions in the nose.

Tablet Mucinex-Dm (available OTC) twice daily which contains Dextromethorphan which is a cough suppressant in combination with Guaifenesin which is an expectorant and helps to loosen congestion in your throat and making it easier to cough out mucus/phlegm.

Decongestant nasal spray will also be helpful for symptomatic relief.

Take plenty of fluids with warm water or tea and better to avoid cold water/drinks.

If there is not much improvement within 2 to 3 days with these symptomatic treatment then Z-pack antibiotic can be taken but only after consulting your doctor and undergoing routine blood investigation.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sandip Kabra