question-icon

What causes persistent pain on the bottom of the feet with no apparent injury or other signs?

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018
Question: What can cause persistent pain on bottom of feet with no apparent injury or other signs?
Pain occurs when first getting up and walking and then eases, but reoccurs after sitting and then getting up again. Robt.franz@ yahoo.com. Pain is worse on heels but also on balls of feet.

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Possible plantar fasciitis

Detailed Answer:

I can certainly understand your concern..

As per your symptoms, the possibility of plantar fasciitis is very high. This is mainly due to inflammation of the foot fascia.

It's advisable to get an X-ray of both feet to rule out bony abnormalities.

Please avoid excessive standing and maintain good cushioning of both feet.

I generally prescribe oral pills of analgesics (eg. Ibuprofen, Naproxen etc.) to my patients with such symptoms. Please check with your physician if s/he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

Take care,
Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Suresh Heijebu