• question-icon

What causes persistent pain in the shoulders?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hi doctors i am worried about my shoulder. I had an arthroscopic repair done last year and my shoulder is still in pain. I also noticed to my shoulder shifts alot. Ive been researching alot and ive heard that tightning the anterior part of the capsule affects other sides of the shoulder which leads to arthritis which i fear of getting. Please, i spoke to my surgeon but i feel he is either lying to me or hes just not with it. I also noticed i have a sulcus sign on my shoulder.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
A persistent pain after a repair can be due to mild inflammation in the area. The arthritic changes are slow to set up and are seen many years after the injury. A sulcus sign suggests a glenohumeral instability and can be due to an incomplete repair. It is best to get an MRI scan done and get a second opinion from another orthopedician to find out if the surgery done is successful or not.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
Thank you for responding doctor. I do have a new mri and my surgeon reviewed. I also have a slap tear and a slight articular sided infraspinatus tear. I can show you the mri but i would have to give you the website to view it. Would that be ok ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do share the website.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can share the website with me so that I can study MRI scan in detail. If there is a tear then rest is needed for it to heal completely. Doing painful activities can aggravate the problem.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
The website is njimagingnetwork and then you go to patient portal and for the username put david55162 and the password is motivation44. I cannot download as it wont allow you can only view it through the portsl.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cannot open the reports.

Detailed Answer:
User ID or password does not match. Do upload the screenshot of the radiologist's report. The report is available for only 5 days on the website. Try to open it yourself and see if it is valid even now or not.
Regards.
I am truly sorry the password is Motivation44 with a capital M. Try that.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physical therapy can help.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the reports. The shoulder is slightly unstable due to a lax capsule. The SLAP tear is adding to the pain. It is best to continue with regular physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder joint so as to provide stability to the joint and allow the time to heal. At your young age this can heal conservatively. In case the pain is persistent and physical therapy does not help then a surgical treatment may have to be considered.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon