What causes persistent pain in the hip?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: After a long drive of nearly 1500 miles in 2.5 days, my right hip plus outside area of leg was stiff and painful. After a couple minutes any pain is minimal as long as I stand or walk. Sitting is uncomfortable and sleeping in any position except on my back is also uncomfortable with slight pain in right hip. After three months it is getting better but recently carrying a heavy load down a mountain did not help. Scheduled for another long driving trip soon. Any suggestions for relief? I have tried 4 or 5 different cushions with little improvement.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anti inflammatory medicines will help.

Detailed Answer:
A persistent pain for 3 months in the hip can be due to a mild inflammation like bursitis or tendonitis. You need mild anti inflammatory pain killers and oral muscle relaxants for a full relief. Frequent stretch breaks during the journey and regular stretching exercises under the guidance of a physiotherapist will help. A hot compress will also provide a short term relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal