Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

153 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes persistent pain in the hamstring along with swelling in the knee?

Answered by
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 1929 Questions

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Two weeks ago, I was moving railroad ties in my yard and when lifting a particularly heavy one I felt a sharp strain in my hamstring. I have had knee inflammation periodically before so I wear knee braces when doing heavy work. Since then, I have had persistent pain in my hamstring and pain where the tendon attaches my outer calf to the knee. I have swelling behind the knee and particularly after sitting, the hamstring and outer calf are stiff and sore, which relieves somewhat after walking for a while. I also have muscle spasms in the leg, particularly while lying down or sitting. I am a 58 Y/O male, pre-diabetic but otherwise in good health. Since I am exhibiting several symptoms in the leg I was wondering your thoughts on what is going on?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need rest, muscle relaxers and anti inflammatory drugs

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems like pulled muscle with suspicion of torn ligaments or tendon sprain. Likely muscle groups seem to be hamstring and posterior group of muscles of thigh.

Exact extent of damage can be identified on MRI of the affected limb. However X-ray of knee and femur should also be done to rule out any bony involvement or hair line fracture which though seems less likely in your case.

A detailed orthopedician review is needed and meanwhile OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can be helpful for the pain and inflammation.

Muscle relaxants like orphenidine or tizindine may be needed as well. Strict bedrest and avoiding any kind of exertion on affected limb should be avoided.

Topical anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or diclofenac can be used to reduce inflammation. Capciacin gel can also help to reduce pain.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on