What causes persistent pain in the hamstring along with swelling in the knee?
You need rest, muscle relaxers and anti inflammatory drugs
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.
Based on the history you have shared, it seems like pulled muscle with suspicion of torn ligaments or tendon sprain. Likely muscle groups seem to be hamstring and posterior group of muscles of thigh.
Exact extent of damage can be identified on MRI of the affected limb. However X-ray of knee and femur should also be done to rule out any bony involvement or hair line fracture which though seems less likely in your case.
A detailed orthopedician review is needed and meanwhile OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can be helpful for the pain and inflammation.
Muscle relaxants like orphenidine or tizindine may be needed as well. Strict bedrest and avoiding any kind of exertion on affected limb should be avoided.
Topical anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or diclofenac can be used to reduce inflammation. Capciacin gel can also help to reduce pain.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes pain and swelling in thighs and knees
- What causes pain in hamstring buttockslowerback and groin areas
- What causes severe pain in hamstrings at night
- Tight hamstrings cause knee pain
- What causes hamstring pulls
- Chronic hamstring pain causes
- Hemorrhoids cause hamstring pain
- What could cause pain in hamstring area
- What causes pain in hamstrings and on thigh
- What causes persistent knee pain
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?