What causes persistent pain in face, cheekbone and jawbone?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, the right side of my face has a persistent pain, around my cheekbone and jawbone. But the strange thing is that it seems to hurt for 3-4 hours each day but at the same time. Between around 11am - 3pm it hurts and then it stops. In the evening or early morning, and at night there is no pain at all. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Temporomandibular arthritis most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be most likely due to temporomandibular arthritis. During night this can occur due to clenching of jaws excessively during sleep.

Using Splints or bite guards while sleeping will be helpful for this. This helps to reduce clenching of jaw while sleeping. This can be designed by dentist. Over the counter NSAIDs like ibuprofen (motrin) will be helpful if pain is more. Massaging the muscles and applying warmth is also good.

If these are not helping then local injection of corticosteroids and Physiotherapy like ultrasound will be helpful.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Nishad BN