• question-icon

What causes persistent pain in chest, around rib cage when diagnosed with MVP?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: HI sir, I have been a having constant intermittent pain in left side of chest in and around ribcage for almost 1 year now. I had consulted a cardiologist here and he told that I am having an situation called as mitral valve prolapse. But in spite of the medication given for that I am having pain now and then.
Please let me know if this is common or is this very serious issue as I am always getting anxious whenever pain is their.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your heart function is normal according to Echocardiography.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. Your heart function is normal according to Echocardiography. Mitral valve prolapse (MVP) is present in 25% of the population. Yours is mild and doesn't interferes with heart function. So there is nothing to worry.
For those with MVP stress or anxiety or caffiene intake or excess salt intake or high cholesterol etc can give symptoms like chest pain , palpitation etc. So avoid or decrease intake of caffienated drinks like coffee , colas , energy drinks etc. Do regular exercises. Breath relaxation exercises also is good. Have proper sleep daily. Check your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Inderal (propranalol) won't be needed if there is no symptoms like palpitation or chest pain.
It is better to have an echocardiography and cardiologist consultation yearly once. No need to think about it every time. Be relaxed.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 33 minutes later
Thanks sir
I had high cholestrol levels when MV Prolapse was diagnosed a year before, now its in control after taking statin tablets. Palpitations happens very rarely, but the pain in an around chest happens to come and go every day, that's the reason for taking inderal tablet.I used to go to gym before but now I have stopped going thinking that this might lead to any emergency complications like heart attack. So mentally i am very stressed thinking that each time pain comes its something very serious.

Thanks in advance for your prompt advice.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

1) If you constantly getting chest plain then you can take low dose inderal.
2) Avoid caffienated drinks.
3. Do regular exercise. Doing cardio type exercises in XXXXXXX is also good. Only heavy weight training will have risks. So avoid such ones.
4. Check your cholesterol once in 3 months and take dietary precautions for that. If it is persisting on high level then go on with low dose statins.
5. Take vitamin C 100 mg daily or Citrus fruits.
6. Breath relaxing exercises are good for controlling stress. Take deep breaths after sitting and whole body relaxed. Do this a couple of times daily.
7. If still anxiety and stress is there then have a counselling with psychologist.
Your condition is not that serious and nothing to worry. As I told this is present in 25% of population and most of it are undiagnosed also. Your echocardiography shows structurally and functionally healthy. So you can relax.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.

Dr. Nishad BN