What causes persistent pain, dry, flaking and extreme redness on cheeks?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Persistent, painful, dry, flaking, extreme redness on cheeks is getting so bad, I cannot cover with makeup nor go out in the sun at all.........fatigue and joint pain are worse now, too........what can this be???
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly rule out SLE by consulting a doctor

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
I read your query and saw the picture you uploaded.
It looks like a malar rash and also you mentioned that you have joint pain too. These could be manifestations of a entity called as Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
I would advice you to consult a doctor, preferably rheumatologist and get few blood tests such as- ANA, anti-dsDNA and anti-sm antibodies.
If any of these are positive then further workup and treatment will be required.
If it comes negative then we can think of other differential diagnosis for your complaints.
I hope I have answered your question well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng