What causes persistent pain between the ribs and the stomach?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Have pain below left ribs above stomach have had X-rays took tables for gas still had had the pain for 6 weeks
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be gastric or cardiac.

Detailed Answer:

Upper abdominal pain (below the ribs and above the stomach) is caused by a few conditions. A very common one would be, if you have gastric ulcers. or if you have a stomach ulcer. Due to the food, irritating the stomach mucosa directly as it, touches it, we get pain. However the pain usually responds to antacids.

Another more rare cause but important one is bowel ischemia. This happens when the bowel arteries are narrow and can not provide the needed amount of blood.

Third possibility is cardiac involvement.
Cardiac pain could be referred to epigastrium region also and can be involving ribs zone.

What can you do?
1. You need to see your doctor
2. Your doctor might order some tests like:

- Abdominal ultrasound
- ECG and heart ultrasound to identify for heart problems that might cause thrombi that might move and cause blockage including the bowel arteries,
- General health tests if you have not had them in the last year: lipids, sugar tests, creatinine and electrolites
- If all these are normal your doctor might order a tests to examine your stomach with a camera through the throat and esophagus called fibrogastroscopy.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar,
Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng