What causes persistent pain around the Achilles tendon?

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 56 yrs old I have had pain in my achilles tendon for a for 2 months , now I am having pain on the outside of my calve that is severe .
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Calf pain

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your post in HealthcareMagic,

I do understand your pain and discomfort

As per your clinical history is concerned, please provide me some details before I give you my opinion:

1) Do you have pain as well as swelling in one side of leg ?

2) Dose your pain starts after any physical exercise and stops after rest ?

3) Do you feel any weakness or fatigue ?

Kindly follow up with the answers.

Awaiting..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 55 minutes later
no swelling
more severe with physical exercise
no weakness or fatigue
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Calf pain with exercise

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up question on HCM

As per your reply you have no chance of blood clot at all or Deep vein thrombosis so you can follow these steps care fully and discuss with your family doctor -:

1)you need a physical examination to check all clinical signs for PAD which is called peripheral vascular disease.

2)Your doctor will do a Doppler ultrasound to find blocked arteries.

3)If your doctor feels he can advise you an angiography test for future complication prevention

4)Do a 12 hour fasting blood test for fasting blood sugar and lipid profile

5)Exercise regularly, aim for 30 minutes at least three times a week.

6)Eat foods that are low in saturated fat and maintain a healthy weight

you can do little life style changes like if you smoke, quitting is the single most important thing you can do to reduce your risk of complications

your doctor will prescribe you following medications like -

1)Cholesterol-lowering medications

2)Medications for high BP

3)Medications for sugar

4)Medications to prevent blood clots

5)Medications for leg pain like cilostazol

All above medications required a doctors prescription only so you can discuss with him only and if above option failed to solve your problem then surgical treatment can be considered.

Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T