What causes persistent pain and cracking sounds in knee despite cartilage repair?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi I have an old acl & cartilage injury from 1998...I had the cartilage trimmed and repaired of what ever they do and for yrs I've struggled with pain...I also had another arthroscopic as I was still havin problems with it....the surgen said I would Benifit and should have a knee construction......nothing come of it...yrs went on and it was getting more painful,after seeing another surgen again he said 95% of people can do with out acl... Yrs went again and I was sent to a specialist again and I explained that my knee is now bending inwards so I had a X-ray and they said the bone on the outside of my knee has worn....that was about 5 yrs ago.. I have moved to Australia now and it's getting worse..my knee clicks very load and I feel a slight feeling on the out side of the knee which it also feels like a vibration all throu the hip down to my ankle....I was also diagnosed with hip dysplasia in 2000 which I was born with ,so this has played a part so the specialist said......my concern is how to slow it down on the wearing and about the clicking noise and movement with the knee...I would love to see a specialist but here would be very costly and to have surgery would put me out of work to long which may Finnish my life in Australia.... My job intales a lot of ladder work and pivoting on the ladder to which my knee feels le it's going to pop out.....please could you advise me on this

Kind regards
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a tough situation. Not much can be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your problem and indeed it should be a really tough situation that you are facing. Your problem has a traumatic as well as degenerative cause. Your doctor had rightly mentioned that most people can do without ACL and so it should not be concerning. But based on your professional situation, the things are a bit different. Please check if you can move to something that involves less of ladderwork and pivoting. The exertion on the knees needs to be minimised and there is really no other way out. Your actual requirement might be a total knee replacement which is an expensive procedure and would require a reasonable amount of rest too. Other than that it is really difficult to relieve your pain. I do not think that multiple specialist opinions would really do any good in this regard.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha