What causes persistent numbness in lips and teeth sensitivity?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Hi , l have been very nervous for the past month or so because i have developed a slight numbness in my upper gums, but more so in in my top lip.. l have been to the dentist in a state of panic and he cant really see anything wrong, a slight sensitivity in a few teeth but no pain. An xray showed nothing inconclusive. I know cant stop worrying in case it wont go.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be commonly due to allergic reaction or nerve damage.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern..

As per your complain and presentation of symptoms numbness of the upper lip and gums can be caused due to a few common reasons like Allergic reaction to any food or medication, excessive stress and anxiety,nutritional deficiency of Vitamin B12, and nerve injury..

I would like to know from you that have you been into stress even before the numbness appeared or anxiety happened only after the numbness appeared.

-Have you undergone any recent dental treatment..

-Has there been any traumatic injury to the lips or gums..

- Do you have any known allergies?

- Are there any other symptoms along with numbness or otherwise you are completely healthy?

Kindly answer the above mentioned questions so that I can guide you better..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 16 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX
To be very honest, after helping a relative move a very heavy object out of the house it has caused me a number of ongoing XXXXXXX problems, but after years of seeing a chiropractic and physio l am alright. To cut a long story short, it has led me to feel constantly angry and depressed for over seven years. And that might have taken its toll on my body and especially brain. And i have started getting rapid heart beat for no reason this month
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Numbness seems related to anxiety and depressive condition.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Rowena..
Welcome Again..

As per your explanation it seems that stress is the culprit behind the numbness of the lip and the gums but in case if you have rapid heart beat you should once get your blood pressure checked as high blood pressure can also cause the above described symptoms..

If it comes out to be normal then you need not to worry about the numbness and should control anxiety by doing meditation and keeping yourself engaged in the activities of your choice..
If still you do not find relief consult a Psychologist who can advise you to take anti-anxiety medicines for reducing anxiety and depressive states..

If you have any other query you are most welcome..

If your query is resolved kindly write a positive review and give a Five Star Rating as a token of appreciation and encouragement..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Arora.