• question-icon

What causes persistent numbness and tingling sensation in the toe?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am male, 56 years of age. Over the last six months my second toe on my left foot got a tingling almost numb feeling in the tip of the toe. It has spread slowly back thru the toe and into the foot and affected the middle toe now and the forward middle part of this foot. Additionally, and I'm not positive its related, the front of my leg (lower shin) just above the ankle area has developed a darker, almost bruised like appearance that has a slight burning associated w it. I was severely sun burned last summer in this area and the sunburn turned almost black before it healed. I suspect something w the nerves but am not sure. Can you advise on any common condition w these symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be low levels of B12

Detailed Answer:
There are three possibilities which point towards the symptoms of tingling and numbness.

1) The first possibility is of vitamin B 12 deficiency which is more pronounced if you are a vegetarian. You need to get the levels of vitamin B 12 done to rule out this possibility.

2) The second possibility at your age is of diabetes as raised blood sugar levels can cause peripheral neuropathy which causes tingling in the extremities.
To rule it out you need to get your fasting blood sugar levels and a HBA1c done.

3) The third possibility is of a spinal cause . Any spinal cause in the lower spine may be associated with tingling in the soles of feet and legs. So to rule out this possibility you need a MRI whole spine done after consulting a neurologist.

We need to confirm the diagnosis by getting your blood sugar levels, EKG heart, vitamin B 12 levels and a neurological examination from a neurologist done. You should eat a healthy diet consisting more of meat and non veg products which are sources of vitamin B 12. If you are a vegetarian then you can take vitamin B 12 supplements after consulting your physician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon