question-icon

What causes persistent nose bleeds along with foul smelling mucus?

Posted on Tue, 11 Sep 2018
Question: For a week or maybe longer I have been experiencing nose bleeds. For a couple of days and nights I had a foul smell like dead fish. Well as I was finishing up my work I blew my nose and I could feel something in the far back of my left nostril. I could not get it out and this smell made me overhaul by bedroom. i thought my dog had brought something in the house and it died. I thought it was a big hard booger. i don't know how to explain it. But i finally kept trying to blow it out and take it out with q-tips. It finally came out. It was a mass that was hard with a mucus tail. That was the smell. I placed it in a plastic bag and in another container. My husband could smell it when I awoke him to look at this mass.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Chronic otitis media

Detailed Answer:

All the symptoms mentioned by you are suggestive of chronic otitis media with tympanic membrane perforation.
You should get your ear examined by an ENT specialist.
Please tell me do you have any hearing difficulty?
Keep the ear dry.

What medicines have you been taking so far so that I can suggest you better and prescribe you accordingly.
Follow up with the required information

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal,
ENT Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist