• question-icon

What causes persistent night sweats when testosterone level is 452?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been having night sweats on and off for almost two months. To determine what is going on, I had blood work done. One concern was cancer, but the results do not seem indicate cancer-ESR-3, LDH-139. My PSA was 4.1, but the free PSA was 23% and the DRE was normal. So my next concern was andropause. My testosterone was 452, Free testoserone was 85.3, sex hormone binding-36 and free testosterone was 1.8%. While those were in the normal range, and normal does not always mean good, are those values low? Could the night sweats be andropause?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Benign inflammatory condition

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but andropaisecan not be diagnosed only based on lab results , as it mist be accompanied by symptoms such as low sex drive, loss or difficulty getting an erection or mood swings.
your sex binding hormone is within normal range, goal testesterone is a little low while the free testesterone is a little high. free testesterone is the active form of testesterone so it should exclude the presence of andropause.
As for the PSA level , it should be considered as borderline result as the normal result should be below 4 , this means that you probably have an inflammatory benign condition of the prostate. This does not exclude the presence of cancer but it means that you are at a low risk of developing cancer. that is why I would recommend that you get an ultrasound of the prostate to exclude inflammation or benign prostatic hyperplasia which should be followed by biopsy of any abnormal findings were found on ultrasound
I hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman