• question-icon

What causes persistent nausea in a diabetic?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello.

My mother wakes up every morning feeling nausiated. She says it feels like flem building up in her esophagus. She sits for a bit, and then gets up and vomits. It happens every morning, and goes away after she has been up for a bit. She says she feels better after she vomits. Mom is diabetic, and overweight.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dyspepsia and gastritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

A digestive disease in which stomach acid or bile irritates the food pipe lining.Dyspepsia, in layman's language is known as indigestion. It is a term that describes discomfort or burning in esophgus. However, it's not a disease in itself. Dyspepsia is a group of symptoms which often include nausea and heartburn.

As the onset in your case is acute(one day history) Most likely cause of indigestion is due to either overeating or taking over oily or fatty food. Anxiety or intake of alcohol or aerated beverages can also cause the symptoms.

Give her a proton pump inhibitor like Esomeprazole 40 mg twice daily along with a prokinetic drug (eg.Domperidone) for 3 days. This will provide you symptomatic relief from symptoms of dyspepsia (you may need to obtain prescription for this from your local physician).

Antacid like Pepto bismol can be taken for few days along with it.
Any over counter probiotic should be taken for few days to provide relief in symptoms of indigestion.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist