What causes persistent nasal bleeding?

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My husband's nose has been bleeding since 3:00 am and it is now 5:20. We can't seem to get it stopped. This is his 7th nose bleed in about 10 days.
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

I would advise to pinch the nostril for around 6 minutes and do breathing from mouth.In most cases,nasal bleeding will stop.

The cause for the nasal bleeding in this age group is commonly Hypertension.So,if he has Hypertension and forgot to take the medication,he can take it right now.

It would be advisable to consult an Otolaryngologist(ENT specialist Doctor).He/She will find the cause by doing Nasal Endoscopy,c heck the blood pressure and blood tests to rule out Coagulation problem.Sometimes if the nasal bleeding dies not stop,Nasal packing for around 48 hours is needed.

Hope this answers your question. I would be happy to answer if you have any further questions.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana