What causes persistent muscle twitches?
I have been experiencing muscle twitches for the past 7 years. They can be located anywhere on my body and last a few minutes to a month (one and off). I am an active person, going to the gym 3-4 days per week. My most recent bout has been on the side of my hard and seemed to happen after play some video games with my son. I have mentioned these many times to by general doctor and he told me not to be concerned.
Should I be concerned? When should a person be concerned regarding muscle twitching?
Thanks so much!
Benign fasciculations syndrome probably.
Hello and thanks for using Healthcaremagic.com.
I have read your question and understand your concerns.
Since you have muscles twitches from 7 years and there are no other symptoms present, or any worsening of your symptoms, there is no need to get worried about much more than necessary.
A person should be concerned about muscles twitches when there start to be present other symptoms ( fatigue, muscle atrophy, problems with swallowing, speaking, vision, etc.), or when the twitching get very frequent.
In your case, benign fasciculations syndrome is the most likely diagnosis.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
My muscle twithch has stopped on the side of my hand and moved to my middle finger which actually moves (simiar to a spasm). No muscle weakness present. Would a more serious twitch follow weakness or happen before? Also, I have read that a serious twitch is one which we can not see above the skin. Is this accurate? lastly, since this has been happening for (7) years it is my understanding this is a good sign it is nothing to be concerned about.
Not a dangerous condition.
Again, since you noticed these issues from 7 years ago and there are no other symptoms, be reassured that there is not a dangerous condition.
The nature of the twitches may vary, so, don't pay much more attention than necessary.
Hope this helps.
Okay, waiting for the video.
It is okay.
It is okay, your description is complete.
These types of fasciculations are in most cases, benign ones.
Hope I helped you.
If these twitching was an issue, would something clearly pop up in the evaluation he performed.
EMG not necessary.
As we discussed previously, 7 years is a relatively long time for muscles twitching to be caused by a serious condition without manifesting other symptoms, so, I don't think you need to be worried about.
I think EMG also is not necessary, and I'm sure that if you will have it done the results will be within normal ranges.
Hope this helps.
In good health.
Can you please help me understand if the finger movement is concerning? My twitching are typically smaller and more firing. This seems more of a spasm but going to leave that up to you. Also doesn't seem to start until around 1pm. Thanks so much again for your patience.
I saw the picture and the video you uploaded.
Once again, the condition seems to be not a serious one.
Ligaments damaged may contribute to the nerve compression that may result in small muscles spasms, twitching also.
The spontaneous movements of your middle finger seem to be caused by these spasms, in my opinion, no reason to be concerned.
Hope I helped you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Occasional muscle twitching cause
- Muscle twitching in leg causes
- Causes of involuntary muscle twitching
- What std causes muscle twitching
- What causes random muscle twitching in body
- What causes muscle twitching in the thigh
- Causes of muscle twitching symptoms
- Muscle twitches causes
- What causes muscle twitching in body and face
- Frequent muscle twitching causes
- What causes tingling and pins and needle sensation on the left side of...
- What causes numbness in feet and ankles?
- What causes mouth spots and pit in forehead?
- What causes tingling feeling in shoulder?
- Suggest treatment for panic attacks, non functional rectum and memory loss
- What causes numbness in the right side of foot and leg?
- What causes burning sensation and tingling in hands and feet?
- What does my CT scan suggest?
- What causes shortness of breath in a patient with fibromyalgia?
- What causes severe muscle twitches at night in shoulders and arms?