What causes persistent lower abdominal pain after a C-section?
My doctor is currently out of station, thus I can see her only after a week.
Can you let me know if the symptoms are something to be scared of?
VISIT TO DOCTOR FOR CHECK-UP.
Thanks for writing to us.
Following C-section, some amount of abdominal or pelvic pain is common due to adhesion. Mild swelling and tenderness above the stitches are also likely to be NORMAL. It will take few months for abdominal muscle to recover completely.
However, if there is redness, severe tenderness, pus collection or you have a fever, these would be signs of infection around the wound area or stitch line. It should be examined clinically by your doctor. In addition, urinary tract infection, constipation etc should be ruled out.
You may require one course of antibiotics with your doctor's advice, as that can clear any possible infection. Hot water bag compression, painkiller with antacid etc will be helpful to relieve this type of pain. Kindly, visit to your local doctor for clinical examination, relevant investigation (like pelvic ultrasound scan - if required) and complete prescription.
You should take healthy diet with IRON & CALCIUM supplements, drink more water, keep bowel habit regular, maintain genital hygiene properly and take adequate bed rest.
Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.
Wish your good health and take care yourself.
For future query, you can directly approach me through
I am scared of incisional hernia post surgery. What are the symptoms of it? My adhesion area is clean on the outside. I had UTI post surgery and it was treated with antibiotics. Is there a chance of UTI coming back again?
Does carrying baby (weight approx. 3.8 kg) lead to trouble?
Is it normal for the pain to come and go? Should I be consuming Ghee as per traditional therapies for internal wound healing?
Please let me know.
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.
Thanks for follow up query.
1) You need to undergo one ultrasound scan and clinical examination to rule out possibility of incisional hernia. Kindly, consult with your doctor regarding this.
2) Chance of UTI is quite high during this period. You must drink more water or take cranberry juice to flux body toxin, take urine alkaliser to reduce bacterial overload and maintain genital hygiene properly. It is QUITE HELPFUL to prevent recurrent UTI.
You should repeat the urine examination - routine and culture to confirm the diagnosis.
3) It is better to STOP carrying baby of 3.8 kg until completely recovered. It may cause straining on the wound area.
4) Following C-section, abdominal muscle takes 3 months to recover completely and you may feel mild abdominal or pelvic pain during this time.
5) Ghee is NOT appropriate method or treatment for internal wound healing. You take healthy diet with green vegetables, fresh fruits and IRON-CALCIUM tab.
Hope, I have answered your queries. Kindly, close the discussion.
All the best and good luck.
YES, YOU CAN DRINK TROPICANA OR REAL FRUIT JUICE.
Thanks for additional query.
YES, you can drink Tropicana or Real Cranberry juice on regular basis. It DOESN'T cause any trouble to your breast feed baby.
Hope, it helps for understanding. Kindly, close the discussion and rate the answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Having lower abdominal pain what could be causing this
- What causes lower abdominal pain
- What is causing the severe right lower abdominal pain
- What is lower abdominal pain
- What causes the sever lower abdominal pain
- What causes lower abdominal pain after urination
- What causes constant lower abdominal pain by hip
- What causes lower abdominal pain during pregnancy
- What causes spotting with lower abdominal pain
- What causes severe lower abdominal pain after having abortion