What causes persistent loose motions?
Avoid cow milk for a week
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Its very reassuring to know the child is jolly.
If the following criteria are fulfilled there is no cause for concern
1. Absence of blood in stools
2. No signs of dehydration
If there is still increased stool frequency , it will settle down. I would not be worried about stool report. If clinically the baby si doing well then thats okay.
Persistent loose motion could be due to
1. Worsening nutritional status due to loose motion will impair the repairative procedure and further worsening symptoms
2. Presence of pathogenic E coli, which could cause malabsorption
3. Cow milk Protein allergy
4. Development of lactose intolerance( not able to digest milk sugar)
5. Use of prolonged antibiotics
I would advise the following which will definitely be helpful
1. Continue Neutrolin B twice a day: Its a probiotic which restores the normal bacteria of colon and helps reduce symptoms. There is no need of increasing the dosage
2. reduced lactose diet diet: Avoid giving cow milk directly for next 1 week. Many of babies have persistent symptoms due to lack of lactase enzyme which digest lactose sugar of milk.
Curd rice, milk sooji gruel , dalia/lapsi, dhal water, rice ganji , Egg whitecan be used.
3. Zinc supplement: Zn20 suspension will be helpful. Subclinical zinc deficiency can cause prolonged loose motion
One recipe which i would suggest which is highly nutritious and the baby will like is as follows
Ingredients needed: Ghee( 2 spoons), Whole wheat flour ( 2 spoons) , Pista( 50 gms), Cardomom ( 6 in number), Almonds( 50 gms), Khajur( Dried dates 50 gms), water
In a pan pour 2 spoons of ghee, heat it, add 2 spoons of wheat flour (Atta), cook it till golden brown on low flame till its slightly golden in color. Add 2 Cups of water and keep stirring it continuously making a thin water paste( same like sira consistency). To this add powdered mixture of rest of ingredients grinded in mixer ( pista, almond, khajur, cardomom).
Supplement baby breakfast with this recipe, and also can be consumed at night when baby is hungry.
Do keep me updated about the progress. Do get abck to me anytime sir, will be glad to assist you.
Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life.
Dr Deepak Kishore
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Curd rice is very much beneficial as it is natural probiotic
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes yellowish colored loose motions
- What causes loose motions with gas and appetite loss
- What causes stomach pain loose motion and unconsciousness
- What could cause a prolonged loose motions in an infant
- Infant having loose motion what could be the cause
- What causes loose motions
- What causes gree loose motion
- What causes acid feelabdomen discomfort and loose motions
- What is the cause of loose motion in a 1 year old
- What causes yellow and green loose motions