What causes persistent left sided pain in the stomach?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: On Thursday evening I started having pain on the left side of my stomache, near my hip. It lasted about 15 hours. I went to an urgent care facility on Friday and they said it could be diverticulitis or appendicitis and if the pain reoccurred go to the hospital. It has not yet, but I'm worried that it will. I also feel exhausted. Should I head out to the hospital, or wait for the pain to revisit me. 30 years ago I had children, and this pain seemed worse than that, LOL. Pretty close, though.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you should visit your gastroenterologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for asking query.
As your doctor was suspecting it to be Appendicitis or Diverticulitis,I would advice you to go for a ultra sound whole abdomen test.It's one of the basic test of Gastroentrology and will rule out the possibility of appendicitis or diverticulitisor nephrolithiasis(Mostly present with flank pain).
So answer for your query is yes you should go to your gastroenterologist and Get a Ultrasound done.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D