What causes persistent left sided chest pain?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have pain on my left side below the ribs that roused me out of my sleep. It started about 90 minutes ago and was worse then than it is now, but it still hurts.

No question, just a comment. The pain has increased. It's worse now than it was when I woke up.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go to the nearest emergency room it can be unstable angina.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Left sided continuous chest pain from last 2 hours approxiamately can be Unstable angina or ongoing Myocardial infarction.Though Gastric pain also can mimic cardiac pain,Yet to rule out cardiac cause urgently in essential,Because cardiac cause is always a emergency.

I would suggest you to go to nearest emergency department and get a E.K.G done along with serum cardiac enzyme like Trop I.
If possible a 2d echo doppler should be done to rule out any motion abnormality.

Please mention
If you are a smoker?
Is pain associated with forehead sweating?
Any history of on and off chest pain etc?
Any history of Heart burn,Gastritis or Acid peptic disorder?

Waiting!
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj