• question-icon

What causes persistent joint pain?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: for over 6months now I am having issues with my hips [both sides] coming out of joint. Sometimes my shoulder too. This is getting worse and is now happening when I am in bed. Pain only occurs when joints are not aligned.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be recurrent dislocation.

Detailed Answer:
The description you have given is suggestive of recurrent dislocation of the joints. This can happen due to an instability in the joints. Loose ligaments, decreased strength of muscles and rounding of glenoid/ acetabular cavity are the common reasons of such occurrences.
An MRI scan of the joints will help in detecting any pathology. The initial treatment consists of pain killers to reduce the pain and strengthening of the joint muscles by isometric exercises. Intensive physiotherapy program is begun to strengthen the muscles.
In case the physiotherapy is not helpful and some ligament injury is detected on MRI then surgical treatment is required. You can discuss these options with your orthopedician and start with the option best suitable for you.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon