What causes persistent itching and redness around the groin area?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am experiencing itching and redness around my groin from past 5 days. I have tried itch guard and surfaz sn ointment but it has not reduced. Please suggest some good ointment.
Attached is the screenshot.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is ringworm infection, apply terbinafine cream & antihistaminics

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
I have reviewed the attached photograph and you have developed ringworm infection.
It is a superficial fungal infection of the skin.
I would recommend you to stop applying itchguard cream as it can cause irritation and also don't apply surfaz sn cream as it contains high potency steroids and will cause worsening of your infection.
You need to apply topical antifungal cream like terbinafine 1 percent cream on the affected areas twice daily for 3-4 weeks and take antihistaminic like tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
In case of faster resolution you can also consider taking oral antifungal like capsule itraconazole 100 mg twice daily for 2 weeks.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Besides this keep the area dry, avoid sharing of soap and towel, stay in cool airy environment and wear cotton clothes including the undergarment.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D