What causes persistent hiccups?

Posted on Wed, 27 Dec 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've been getting hiccups mostly on an empty stomach. At times the number of hiccups at a stretch is usually 5-6. I drink a glass of water and it subsides.
This happens once every 2-3 days. Is there any cause for concern?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Through investigation should be done to rule out cause however if every thi

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query my dear patient.

1) Hiccups occur when there is stimulus to diaphragm, a dome shaped muscle which separate the chest from abdomen. This muscle also responsible for breathing.
2) Irritation to diaphragm might be due to many reason.You might require further evaluation to find out exact cause for provision of appropriate treatment and this you might require upper GI endoscopy, USG abdomen, routine blood tests. It is not advisable to take treatment to subside hiccups without doing proper treatment but in case if they become unbearable you can take promotility medications (Domperidone, Lesuride) to promote movement of stomach.
Domstal DT can be taken in 10mg thrice daily doses.

Investigations suggested are-
Ultrasound abdomen
Upper G.i endoscopy
CBC
KFT
If all these tests are normal there is no need to worry.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any further doubts, I would be happy to help you.
Have a good day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist