What causes persistent hiccups?

Posted on Mon, 23 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor. My father had cardiac angiography in April-15. Since he is suffering from hiccups. Hiccups stay for 7-10 days and goes out by own for next 7-10, and this recursion is going on from last 6 months. Consulted with many doctors, but didn't got relief. Can you please help ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
The GERD is the cause of the hiccups

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details as well as the attached images. The hiccups are actually occurring due to the reflux esophagitis. The stomach acids are regurgitating into the food pipe and are irritating its lower end. This is causing he hiccups. The solution is:
* Maintain regular bowel habits. Take plenty of dietary fibres as well as fibre supplements like senna, psyllium husk etc. You may also use stool softeners. Also be sure to walk regularly in the morning. These will ensure proper bowel movements and thereby would ensure timely clearance of the gastric acids which would thus prevent reflux.
* When you get such episodes, take a glass of water and take very small sips (as small as possible) to initiate the swallowing actions. Continue it for a while and the hiccups would stop.
* Taking Liofen (Baclofen) as required, can be helpful.

In any case, the cardiac angiography is unrelated to this presentation.

Hope that helps.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Hi Doctor

Thanks for your quick reply. In addition to above sometimes the breathing also stuck for 2-3 seconds due to hiccups. Can you please advise us on following :

1. How to take psyllium husk. With Curd or milk or water and how much of dose?
2. Can he take curd with meal ?
3.How much the dosage of Liofen should be taken in a day?
4.If any precaution to be care of, also food that should not be taken?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dietary fibre intake is very important

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
1. You need to take one or two spoonfuls of psyllium husk before or just after dinner. It does not matter whether you take it with hot water, cold water, curd in whatever form.
2. Yes, you can take it with curd or meal.
3. Liofen can be taken in dose of 10 mg tablet as per requirement (twice or thrice a day may be).
4. Food should not be spicy. No other precautions.

The breathing getting stuck for a few seconds seems also to occur due to the reflux.

Hope that helps.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 47 hours later
Hi Doctor

Thanks for your advice. We just want to know about how much serious is this case? Is this curable or not?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be a source of constant botheration

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again for writing back.
Well, although the ailment is not life threatening, it is a definite cause of unease and discomfort. It can be kept in control with lifestyle modification but although the symptoms may resolve completely, there is nothing called 'cure'. There is a possibility of recurrence and so one needs to be careful.
In case you found my answer to be helpful I would be glad if you close the thread with a positive review and a 5 star rating.
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha