• question-icon

What causes persistent heartburn despite taking Zantac?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I have been taking omeprazole for acid reflux for a few years. With all the concern over vitamin deficiencys from it I asked my doctor if I could get off it. I weened off it and take 1/2 a 300 mg zantac two times a day. It doesn't cut it at nite I have to almost sleep sitting up to stop the burn. I had a scope down my throat when this started a few years back and I have damage to my esophagus. I am looking for another medication that does as well as the omeprazole but with fewer risks. Is there any help for me. I have read about this bacteria test is this a possibility? this may be the problem
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Management of GERD

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Proton pump inhibitors are the best treatment option for GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux disease). Since the side effects of proton pump inhibitor is bothersome for you, the second best option is H2 blocker like Zantac.

It can take up to 2 weeks to notice improvement in symptoms while on Zantac.
If you do not see any improvement in 2 weeks, switching to another H2 blocker like famotidine or cemetidine can be tried.

Life style changes are also important in management of GERD
-Avoid fatty, fried ,spicy food,alcohol and smoking
-Limit caffeine intake
-Avoid carbonated caffeinated drinks
-Eat small frequent meals
-Eat dinner appear 2 hours before bed time
-Raise head end of bed by using blocks underneath bed post
-Take H2 blocker 30 minutes before meals.
-Avoid medications like aspirin(unless prescribed for another medical condition), NSAIDs

Bacteria testing you mentioned is H.Pylori.
H.pylori infection is not associated with GERD. H.pylori has association with gastritis and peptic ulcer disease. So testing and treatment of H.pylpri is not effective in management of GERD.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal